I've been putting off this task for as long as I've owned this truck, which is just about two years now. The guy I bought the truck from mentioned that he had four Non-Directional Tread (NDT) tires off in the woods on his property. He asked if I wanted them and I said sure, so I nabbed them. They are somewhat dry-rotted but are in better overall condition than what's currently on the truck. For two years they've just been sitting in the back of the ol' truck waiting for me to get some motivation to do the dastardly (and very difficult) task.
The county Fair is coming up in a few weeks so I thought I should get myself in gear and start the process. This photo below is the first step, loosening the ten locking ring nuts. They are 1-1/16", and very tight. I had to use a cheater pipe on the end of the 3/4" ratchet.
The photo below shows the "old" tires coming off the truck (left) and the "new" NDT tires going on. It should be a lot easier to steer the truck with the skinnier tires. The overall height is just about identical between the two tires, although the photo doesn't make it look that way.
The "new" tires are your basic military 9.00-16's. The tires coming off the truck are 36x12.50R16 tubeless radials (with tubes due to the wheel construction).
I bought this whiz-bang "bead breaker" gizmo on Amazon a couple of weeks ago, just thinking it might come in handy for the work I do with tractor tires. Well, it was also up to the task of breaking the bead on this "combat wheel", as these things are affectionately known as. I positioned the bead breaker in one spot, cranked down on it as far as it would go, then moved it to a new spot several inches from the old spot. After setting the bead breaker at three different spots, I was able to pry the bead off the rim. I flipped the tire over to then do the same to the back side.
The "new" tires are your basic military 9.00-16's. The tires coming off the truck are 36x12.50R16 tubeless radials (with tubes due to the wheel construction).
The great thing about these two-piece wheels is that they don't have the typical (and very dangerous) "split rim" locking rings (I had a 1971 GMC pickup with split rims and I never did like messing with them). The locking rings on these combat wheels are held in place with ten studs and nuts. There is nothing that can go pinging off into space, or into someone's soft bodily tissue, as the case may be.
I failed to get a photo of the wheel pieces free of their old tire, but below are a couple of photos of one "new" tire on the truck. It looks so much better. Now only three more to go and I'll be set for the Fair. Well, I guess one of the old tires should go on the spare wheel also, as it currently has a nasty looking tire on it that has a pancake-size (no, not a dollar pancake) chunk of rubber torn off.
I failed to get a photo of the wheel pieces free of their old tire, but below are a couple of photos of one "new" tire on the truck. It looks so much better. Now only three more to go and I'll be set for the Fair. Well, I guess one of the old tires should go on the spare wheel also, as it currently has a nasty looking tire on it that has a pancake-size (no, not a dollar pancake) chunk of rubber torn off.








No comments:
Post a Comment