The title is a bit deceiving. These are not brand new tires and wheels, but they are new to me. You see, Frank, the guy I recently bought this tractor from (and who I've bought several other tractors from), bought a new tractor and wanted to sell this JD AR. He gave me a very good deal on it and I just couldn't pass it up. He said he would like the rear wheels/tires that are on this AR to put on his new-to-him JD AOS (yes, it is a very rare one). I did like the French & Hecht round spoked wheels but the tires were too small for my liking. The AR just needed bigger tires to fill out the massive rear fenders. Fortunately the AOS came with larger rear tires, and so we just swapped wheels/tires from one tractor to the other. This first photo is the "before" photo with the F&H wheels with 11.2-24 tires.
My poor little 1984 S15 diesel pickup. I'm guessing the two wheels and tires are upwards of 800 pounds or more.
I used the 1965 International 140 Industrial to get the tires out of the truck. I could finagle the tires around and get the forks under them, but when I tried to lift the entire weight of one tire and wheel, the ol' loader said no. I was able to slide them out of the truck with the forks though and then move them into position. The lifting capacity of the Model 1000 loader is 450 pounds at the bucket hinge point. Having the forks extended out beyond the bucket diminished the loader's lifting capacity.
Here's another before shot.
And below is the glorious after shot. Maybe to most people it isn't enough of a difference to do all the work of swapping, but I think it was well worth it. You can tell the difference easily by looking at the belt pulley (the round thing in front of the tire), and how far it is from the tire in both photos.
The wheel size is the same for both wheels, 24 inches, but these tires are 12.4-24 and apparently that makes them 4 or 5 inches taller than the 11.2-24's, and obviously 1.2 inches wider.
Frank, the guy who got the round spoke wheels for his AOS, is happy getting those F&H wheels back and I'm happy getting these new wheels and bigger tires.












No comments:
Post a Comment