Friday, February 1, 2013

No, it's not junk.

Ok, this next photo may look to most onlookers like a load headed to the nearest recycling station. Not so. This is my latest treasure brought home from afar.


Someone I recently sold a sewing machine to emailed to inform me of a Craigslist ad for 12 sewing machines (we sewing machine connoisseurs watch out for each other). It sounded like a good deal, so with some encouragement from my wife (she's the best), I called the phone number in the ad. Imagine the feeling in my gut when the guy said someone was on his way to look at the machines. Two hours later though, he called back and said the first person passed (something about his wife not wanting him to bring home a bunch of junk (hmm, not a good sign)). And by the way, there were 13 machines, not 12. Cool. At least it was only 40 miles away. So an hour or so later we had a pickup full of sewing machines. Here they are, in no particular order.

JC Penney model 6940A


White "Jeans Machine" model 1077

M/W (Montgomery Ward) 21 Jewel Supreme Automatic ZigZag

Adler model 153A

Home Mark model 400 DeLuxe Automatic

Keystone model 98

New Home (Janome) model 270 Streamliner

Singer model CG-550 C (CG - commercial grade (don't think so))

Singer model 66-1 Treadle

Singer model 185K

Singer model 401A

White Rotary model 43

Pfaff model 30

Singer model 15-125

I didn't pay much attention to what I was getting since I just wanted to get them loaded in the truck and back home before bedtime, but once they were all unloaded in the basement, I did a head count and came up with 14. Even cooler. Apparently last summer this guy picked up 300 machines from someone that hoarded them in a storage unit and she needed to get rid of them quickly, so this guy got the lot, plus a pile of accessories and other assorted stuff. He then sold a bunch to someone in Shelton (I'm thinking it is this person: http://www.infinetime.com/index.html), and he also took a load to the local Goodwill. I would have loved to get the whole lot from him but that would have been quite overwhelming. Another interesting note, some guy from Auburn that we bought a Singer 319 from I think also was wanting the whole mess but he showed up 10 minutes too late, after the Shelton person made the deal.

Many of these machines are missing small things like needle clamps, feet, motor controls, hooks, and bobbin cases. Oh, and the Adler timing belt is not much more than rubber pulp and a few fibers. It was still a good deal though. But now I really have my work cut out for me.

3 comments:

  1. My my! This would have made my day, no, my year! Great score. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the keystone model 98, do you know what the dial on the back of the machines by the double spool holder does?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you should happen to have an extra kneed pedal that fits a Universal like the one shown here, I'm looking for a replacement knee pedal.

    ReplyDelete